Wednesday, August 23, 2006

An evening with Tool

We went to dinner before the concert at a random (for our age and background) place called Rosie's. It was basically an English Pub like diner. The food was what you could expect had you gone to a friend's place who has an English heritage. Think meatloaf, gravy and mashed potatoes. I found my meal wasn't bad despite not looking appetizing but my Ben, Kroll and Garreth disagreed. Serves them right for being apathetic.

We missed the opener - though none of us were particularly interested in seeing Isis (sp?). I think only Garreth had heard them before and they were described as bad grunge. We were also shooting the shit a lot about music that night and it reminds me that I should look up a band callec Muse. Supposedly they're Radiohead but with heavier overtones.

Tool was alright. It was good to see them but not worth the $80 to watch a 1:40 performance with no fucking encore. What a rip. They didn't even have an entire show which precluded any encore like NIN had or what I'd imagine The Wall to be. And of course, in Tool fashion, they played two masturbation songs straight and wasted 20 min of our time there. For any modern rock derivative act, if at any time 70-80%+ of your audience is sitting, you've fucking failed. It could've been worse though... they didn't play too much from 10,000 days and they played most of their old stuff I'd really like to hear. Didn't touch parabol(a) nor Eulogy but Lateralus was awesome. Speaking of Lateralus, on the way home, my friend pointed out that the lyrics in lateralus follow the fibonacci sequence (syllable-wise)... 1 1 2 3 5 8 5 3 2 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 8 5 3. Nerdy eh? I'd like to think it's more in the realization than the creation - Maynard was expressing beauty with it. Stinkfist should've been played later rather than the opener... I would've chosed Vicarious to open. Vicarious isn't easy to dance/mosh/headbang to but it still has a lot of energy.

I guess for the most part, I've grown beyond Tool. It just doesn't express enough emotion for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt Lam said...

Muse is good, the description that was given to you is quite apt...

1:58 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I am quite the fan of Muse, been listening to them a fair bit recently. I think you'd like them. Anyway, the food at Rosie's was much like their decor; a mismatch of odd and slightly stale flavours. I also think I need to be a bit more cautious about what bands I'm willing to shell out 80$ for.

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home