Thursday, August 17, 2006

Personality Tests

For some amusement, I tried Ami's new found personality test that's getting under her skin. Mine was pretty dead on - even the stuff I'd less like to admit and for that part, doubt. However, I tend to disagree highly on the test's assessment that I'm introverted to the point where I don't go out and meet new people... etc. Yes, for the most part I prefer the company of one to the company of many but that doesn't mean I don't go out to parties or random social gatherings and meet new people.

It got me thinking though... first, the typical definition of introversion and extroversion. While this may not be diction, to me I look into the view of either persona and look into their motives. Every person who I would confidently say is truly extroverted is actually completely narcissistic - perhaps by necessity. I've always found it difficult to carry on polite BS conversations cause I don't care to prattle on about myself and I don't care to ask questions which allow me to turn the conversation back to prattling about myself. To be fair... maybe some of those extroverted people really are curious of others thoughts and have a knack for getting that out of them... I simply don't care to put the effort into it for strangers. Hmm, this may be biting into the point I was getting at in that the introverted person actually may care more about others than themselves when it comes to conversation and focuses maybe too much into who the other person is. Ok, revision, extroverted people have no qualms about being narcissistic (or maybe letting others indulge in their narcissism?) while introverts are very selective into who they let into their world or who's world they want to explore. Hmm, still doesn't seem to completely satisfy. I guess I keep looking to people I know who I'd call one or the other and try to attach some level of vanity to them - but I keep coming up with singularities that contradict my points. As far as my current theory goes, singularities on the extroverted side, I highly like... singularities on the introverted side, I highly dislike. I guess it just comes down to levels of vanity and narcissism.

My other point is a little more personal in my rationale behind a personality test pegging me as introverted. Basically, I need another person around whenever I do something new. Well, not need as in safety blanket need but my fun is multiplied if I have someone to share it with - exponentially if I connect with that person. When it comes down to it, while a lot of my personal philosophies value human life - I still dislike a lot of people on a personal level when I get to know them. It's always really nice when I can be with someone who I can turn to and look into each others eyes and mutually think "What the fuck?". Otherwise I just have to swallow my exasperation.

On the whole of personality tests... I was thinking if they're accurate, why do you need to take one? The rub: you aren't sure who you are.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amorina said...

Ideally they would ask a question like, "I enjoy socializing but not continuously" or "I enjoy the company of a few good friends as opposed to ignorant senseless masses:P" or something. (with regards to the interoverted extroverted thing.)

The interovert/extrovert definitions are more - do you orient and function using external things, or using internal filters? It bears very little relation to how many people you hang out with - its just that extroverts will be more social because they orient themselves externally, while introverts don't need to be as social. (they find their stumulus/meaning within). Its perfectly possible to be an introvert who loves to party, and an extrovert with no social skills.

That said, i'm intrigued by your application of narcissism to intro/extro. It's actually a personality disorder, and as such can apply to either, but i never thought of it in that light before. Although with introverts, they can actually be incredibly narcissistic, because if you keep your own company long enough it's all you know how to talk about. It can be just as annoying as attempting to carry on senseless blather with some extroverts.

Yeah I'm done preaching on your blog now - but few things interested me as much as personality theory has lately. :P

7:22 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

I guess the problem with a lot of these test is that they ask extreme questions and see how much you think you fit into the catagory. To take a bad analogy... the DnD alignment system is very similar to that (in comp games anyway). Basically, there are no 'neutral' decisions that change your alignment back to neutral. You fo good, evil or neutral but it'll only change your alignment if you do good or evil. Hence to be neutral means to be righteous one minute and villanous the next - which doesn't roleplay well.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home