Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Day 3

Stat Mech: Continued to talk about the 1-d chain of harmonic oscillators - the crystal. Expanded into 3d... some boltzman equation that he's quite ingenious to have come up with.

Math 301: More complex integration.

Marketting: we went over some ads and how they were addressing certain ingrained 'needs'... from physiological (food) to social and status (diamonds). One ad was of note: it was a chevy ad with shadows of their minivans on a tub aproaching a drain with water coming out of the faucet. Our lecturer then calmly proceeds to tell us that it's some reference to being able to stop on slippery surfaces. The whole class bursts out laughing, no one believes that's what they intend. In fine print near the bottom, it was exactly that intention phrased.

Waveguides/Photonics: talked about how a laser works... went only so far as describing fabry-perot cavities. So, now I've done them in 3-4 classes. Huzzah.

APSC 459: had a lecturer who was an eng phys alumni. Talked a lot about company management items - quite good information though a little redundant with stuff I've learned in other classes. I.e. opportunity cost and supply/demand curves. Then talked a bit with Jeff about the phase locking project we're working on.

Had a midterm in Quantum. Four questions. The first three, I did in ~15-20min; they weren't a challenge at all - I didn't even need to study. The last one was a farce. They tried to place an LC circuit into a QM model but didn't really give you enough information on how to go about it. At least I got the right frequency and mass equivalents.

Finished the night off with my first Tango lesson. I picked it up really easily and I have to say, I love it. I still find it akward to dance with a lot of the girls because so many of them lack any sort of confidence. It's fine to laugh at yourself failing but don't assume you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home